Of course this convention is also available in other cultures in different forms and expressions, and in our country, where the Islamic and Iranian cultures flow together, this meaning is quite current and different Iranian ethnic groups perform it with their own special accents.
The culture of “Salam”, which is a social courtesy performed when two persons meet or encounter each other, has many effects and benefits. The most noteworthy of these are:
1- Salam is a name of God, brought from heavens to earth. Its propagation and circulation on earth strengthens the inane tendencies, awareness of God and piety, and prepares the grounds towards eminence.
2- Salam is the sign of modesty and prevents arrogance and haughtiness. It is for this reason that vane persons are not inclined to greet and expect it from others. Therefore Salam represses such pride in humans.
3- Greeting aloud destroys contention. Contention is a mental and spiritual disorder, which creates many problems in the individual and social sphere.
4- Salam is the sign of peace and calm and their promise to others. Consequently individuals establish contact in assurance and tranquility without feeling anxiety and worry in this respect. And Islam is the religion of peace, purity and serenity extending a hand in friendship to other nations without a thought of war and conflict, and such a tradition could be a step towards this reality.
5- Salam increases love, fraternity and kindness among people, removing all misunderstandings and hatred from the hearts. It strengthens unity among society and prevents dispersion and disagreement. An integrated and united nation will definitely be able to move towards perfection at a quicker pace, removing all obstacles and nearing its ideals.
6- A right that all religious brethren in an Islamic society have vis-à-vis each other is to greet. Therefore, by doing this, one of the mutual rights amongst individuals in an Islamic society is respected to the full satisfaction; and by such a prelude, the greeter makes others aware of the need to respect and abide each other’s rights.
7- In Islamic heritage, Salam is considered as a sign of perfect piety, and the one who does not greet is considered as the meanest person. Therefore, those who greet are on the path towards higher religious values, while those who refuse to greet deprive themselves of greater accomplishments.
8- The Almighty Lord has in Koran greeted prophets and messengers. This makes us realize that we must follow suit to honor the status of the religious greats and to show appreciation towards the efforts of those who strove for human goals and happiness, enduring many hardships in this path.
9- Greeting is desirous and its reply obligatory and the reward go to the one who initiates greeting, as was the tradition of the Prophet (OBUH) and the Imams (AS). No one could surpass them in this matter, and we should learn to do the same and surpass others in good deeds.
10- It should however be noted that greeting has its limits, which must be considered. For instance if greeting has a seditious premonitions, it should not be initiated.
11- Today, psychology has proven the effects and benefits, which have been mentioned in the holy books for this purpose and which are expressed by the terminology of this science. It is not possible to mention them all in this brief introduction.
12- Other proofs in Koran include: “And Peace on the messengers, Peace unto you for that ye preserved in patience, Peace! This until the rise of morn, Peace and salutation to such as Elias” or other spiritual verses by Iranian poets or adages by the wise and the greats on Salam.
Khatnegareh (Calligraphic design)
Khatnegareh Refers to calligraphy + design or in other terms script designs, which take shape both in components and in the general composition. Calligraphic design is rooted in the Islamic arts, the most prominent examples of which are to be found in the Islamic architecture, both in the context of geometric and non-geometric designs.
In fact calligraphic design is a type of accurate design combined with sentiment, and this accuracy and this feeling are manifested in the context of an imaginative script. Inspired by this pure and original Islamic and Iranian art, the modern artists use it in such a style that has now become a field of expertise, both in its practical and its intellectual dimensions. Calligraphic designs have an esthetical aspect as well as a concept.
Calligraphic design is neither calligraphy nor calligraphic painting or typography.
Calligraphic design is calligraphic design and Iran is the forerunner in this field.
This pure and original Islamic art of Iran has a spiritual approach. The structure of this art contains sanctity and wisdom; and Yazd, given its brilliant history in this field, can tread assuredly in the world of art, particularly in the Islamic art.
Mohammad Mehdi Razi
IN THE NAME OF GOD
INVITATION AND REGULATIONS
The First Yazd International Festival of Calligraphic Design on
Practical and article
The First Annual International Yazd Calligraphic Design Festival will be held in the context of the main cultural artistic goals and strategies of the Islamic Republic of Iran based on the pure values derived from the Sacred verses of the Koran and the Prophet (PBUH)’s family, with the participation and the competition of the best contemporary artists from Iran and other countries and with the motto of “Yazd the home of knowledge and worship.”
Title: International Festival (handwriting _ logo/inscription) of Calligraphic Design.
1: Illustrating the Spiritual and Koranic values
2: To create the proper grounds for discovering the artist’s talents and for transferring their messages.
3: To introduce the higher Iranian- Islamic values.
4: To identify the best international spiritual artists and to provide facilities for contact and exchange of views among the contemporary intellectual artists.
Festivals Section: The First Yazd International Festival of Calligraphic Design will consist of two sections:
A- Calligraphic Design (posters or logos of 50×70 cm in size)
B- Articles on the values and the status of greeting (Salam) and its application in the Islamic art.
● Policy Council: Board of Directors of the Royeshe Sabz Cultural and Artistic Institute
● Head of Policy Council: Dr. Seyed Hamid Shamrizi
● Secretary of Calligraphic Design Section: Mohammad Mehdi Razi
● Secretary of Article Section: Hossein Dashti
Calligraphic Design Section:
Art Selection Committee:
Mohammad Mehdi Razi
Seyed Mahdi Tavakoli Fard
Mohammad Amin Golbaf The Jury:
Seyed Mahdi Tavakoli Fard
Mohammad Mehdi Razi
Master Fazel Al Raees(from Kuwait)
Articles Selection Committee:
Seyed Hamid Shamrizi
Mehdi Malek Sabet
Mohammad Khazayi The Jury:
Seyed Mir Jalal Kazazi
Mehdi Malek Sabet
Seyed Hamid Shamrizi
– Specialized sessions conducted by the contemporary masters and artists will be held throughout the Festival.
– Works by the members of Jury and the Selection Committee will be on display in the non-competition section.
Rules and Regulations:
– Festival’s Theme: Greetings (Salam)
-The above subject applies to both sections (1. Calligraphic design, 2. Article)
The Calligraphic Design Section:
– There are no limitations on the time of work creation.
– Works submitted to the Festival’s Secretariat must be printed on an A4 paper with a CD of the works in TIFF and CMYK format at a quality of 300 dpi.
– The selected works will be printed by Royeshe Sabz Cultural and Artistic Institute in 100 70 cm and will be displayed in the exhibition.
– Each participant can submit 3 works to the Secretariat.
– Use of digital fonts (type sets) in the SALAM Calligraphic Design Festival is prohibited.
– The calligraphic letters used in this Festival must have a new and creative design (either letter design or impulsive script.)
– All articles must b e presented for the first time and should not have been published or used previously in other occasions.
– The number of pages must not be less than 10 or more than 20 pages.
-The article must be printed on A4 size paper using NAZANIN 14 Font and typed with WORD 2003.
– The article must also be submitted in a CD format.
Conditions and points to note: (common terms)
– Works can be presented in the three languages of Persian, Arabic or English.
– Participation in the First Yazd International Festival of Calligraphic Design is open to all.
– Secretariat will be liable for any unforeseen or unannounced events in this Festival.
– Participants are requested to submit the following documents along with their works and the pictures or files to the Secretariat: Full specifications (including name, surname, date and place of birth, education, postal and electronic address, telephone and mobile numbers, a summary of scientific, artistic and research records), the details of their works, and a photo adhered to the form . This form is available in WWW.ROUYESH SABZ.COM or at the Secretariat.
-The participants’ data as mentioned in the form and relevant labels will be used in the Festival’s publications and exhibition. The participants are therefore liable for all incorrect entries.
– The participant’s name, surname and telephone number must be written on the CD with a marker.
– Secretariat will not accept any work without the accompanying form of the participant.
– All works submitted after the deadline will not be admitted to the Festival.
– All admitted participant will receive a certificate of participation, a CD and a book of works exhibited in the Festival.
– The ownership rights of the works will be protected.
– The confirmation of acceptance of the works will be announced on the Institute’s site.
– All admitted works will be exhibited in different cities and in other countries.
Festival awards (both sections)
-The Islamic Republic of Iran’s Special Prize: Statuette, UNESCO Diploma of Honors and 10 gold coins for the selected Iranian artist.
– The Islamic Republic of Iran’s Special Prize: Statuette, UNESCO Diploma of Honors and 10 gold coins for the selected foreign artist.
– First Prize: Statuette, UNESCO Diploma of Honors and 8 gold coins.
– Second Prize: Statuette, UNESCO Diploma of Honors and 5 gold coins.
-Third Prize: Statuette, UNESCO Diploma of Honors and 3 gold coins.
Festival’s Notice: Monday April 20, 2009
Deadline for submission of works: Mon. Sep 22, 2009
Works selection and announcement: September 23 – 27, 2009
Festival’s opening: October 7, 2009
Festival’s closing: October 22, 2009
Telephone number: 0351_6270558 FAX: 0351- 6270559
E-mail: info@Rouyeshsabz.com (.ir)
Web site: www. Rouyeshsabz.com (.ir)
Festival’s Executive Secretary: Mohammad Reza Torki
International Secretariat’s address: Royeshsabz Cultural Institute, zip code 891165-1537, Second floor, Firooze Passage, Emamzade Jafar Blvd., Post box: 89165-1537
Organizers: Royeshsabz Artistic & Cultural Institute
In collaboration with: Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance (Departments of Publications and Arts); the Head of Visual Arts Center and The Tehran Museum of Contemporary Arts; Academy of Arts; National Commission of UNESCO- IRAN; Yazd Cultural and Islamic Guidance Organization; Yazd Governor General’s Office; Yazd Art Department; Organization of Islamic Culture and Relations; Center for Promotion of Koranic Activities; Ministry of Science, Research and Technology; (Universities of Art, Imam Jafar Sadegh, Ardakan, Yazd, Islamic Azad and Culture and Art; and the Institutes of Imam Ali; Roghaye and the Meybod Koran sciences), the Institute for Development of Visual Arts, HOMA Airways, Astane Ghods Razavi, Yazd Organization of Cultural Heritage and Tourism, etc.
Seyed Mahdi Tavakoli Fard
Date of birth: 07/09/1969
Place of birth: Tehran
Education: B.A. Graphic (Tehran Azad University)
Occupation: Lecturer and Graphic Designer
Professional records: Lecturer Graphic Design from 92 to date in Fine Arts Institute and the Faculties and art institutes in Yazd, college and Yazd institutes- professional graphic designer since 1993
Responsibilities: Member of the Selection Committee in the provincial visual arts festivals and member of jury in the provincial visual arts festivals in the fields of graphics and computer graphics
Director of Graphic Group: Imam Ali Institute 2002 – 2005
Director of Graphic Group: Hazrate Roghaye Institute 2002 – 2008
Date of birth: 1953
•Ph.D. in Koran and Tradition from Tarbiyat Modaress University
•Member of Scientific Board, University of Tehran
•Lecturer (grade 27) Faculty of Theology
•Visiting Professor: Azad University, (Tehran North and Center), principles of religion, Islamic religions, traditions science, Imam Sadegh and Shahid Chamran Ahvaz.
•Chief Editor of a scientific – research periodical ((Religious research))
•Compiled 12 books and printed more than 50 articles in scientific and research, advance science, specialized science, encyclopedia and international periodicals.
•Presented articles in 5 domestic conferences.
•Undertook 7 research projects.
•Guiding Professor for 10 PhD theses and 40 master’s degrees theses.
•Advisor in 15 PhD theses and 50 master’s degrees theses.
•Ph.D. in Persian Literature.
•The member of faculty on Yazd University (associate professor)
• Previous Dean Payame Noor University, Taft.
• Previous Head of Department of Persian Literature in Yazd University.
• Previous Dean of the Faculty of Persian Literature in Y
• Previous Chancellor of Humanities Complex in Yazd University.
•Advisor to Chancellor and Head of Supervision Bureau in Yazd University.
•The Editor in Chief of the scientific – research periodical “Research Bulletin of Language and Literature”, Yazd University.
•Published 5 articles in science magazine, 3 books and 12 articles in domestic magazines and quarterlies.
•Presented 6 articles in national and provincial conferences.
•Member of Scientific Board of the Farhangue Yazd Quarterly.
•Member of Science Committee in 5 Conferences and the Secretary of Science Committee in 3 congresses and conferences.
•Member of for Persian Language and Literature Society and the Association for Promotion of Persian Language and Literature
•Distinguished Researcher in the Faculty of Humanities in Yazd University in the year 2003, Distinguished Professor in Yazd University in the year 2005 and Distinguished Professor of the Country in the year 2007.
Hassan Aboyi Mehrizi
Date of birth: 1965
– PhD Religious Jurisprudence Islamic Laws.
– Assistant Professor in Yazd University.
– Member of Research Council, Faculty of Humanities in Yazd University for 2 years.
– Deputy of Education and Research, Faculty of Humanities.
– Member of Science Committee in 2 domestic conferences.
– Presented 4 articles in domestic and international conferences.
– Published 5 articles in scientific research periodicals.
– Undertook a research project and published a book.
– Advisor for two postgraduate theses.
-Member of Yazd University Cultural Council.
Seyed Hamid Shamrizi
– Date of birth: 1964
-PhD. in the Koran and Tradition Science.
-Associate Professor in Yazd University.
-Published 2 articles in research periodicals and undertook 2 research Projects (one completed and one ongoing).
– Lecturer in Motahari Higher Education Institute as a visiting professor.
-Member of science Committee in two national conferences.
– Jury of 5 articles in national conferences.
– Ex Member of Cultural Council and expert in the Islamic Culture Bureau of Yazd Azad University
-Deputy of Theology Group in Yazd Azad University.
Fazel Al Raees
– Member of Visual Arts Committee in Kuwait, Emirates and Bahrain.
– Member of Contemporary Arts Committee in Bahrain.
– Member of Social Relations in Kuwait.
– Master and teacher of calligraphy in Kuwait’s Calligraphy Club.
– Winner of Special Prize of the Arabic Calligraphy Competition organized by the Organization of Youth and Sport.
– Held his first solo Exhibition of Arabic Calligraphy in Kuwait.
-Participation in the annual exhibitions in Kuwait (held in February each year)
– Participation in the Jeddah Festival’s exhibition (Saudi Arabia)
-PhD in Art Research and Member of the Scientific Committee of Tehran University.
– Masters Degree in Visual Communications from Tarbiyat Modaress.
-Bachelors Degree in Graphics from Tehran university- Master Degree in calligraphy.
-Visiting professor in Arts Colleges.
– Member of Jury in many national and international exhibitions and calligraphy conferences in the Islamic world.
-Winner of Grand Prize from the 12th Bangladesh Biennial in the year 2006.
– Gained First Prize in the 4th International Islamic Calligraphic Competition in Turkey, 1998.
-Participation in many international exhibitions in Turkey, Bangladesh, Germany and England….
– Selected artist in the Dubai Christie’s Auction.
– Specialty: Calligraphic design
– The subject of master’s thesis: To study graphics’ elements in Iran Islamic architectural inscriptions (Principles of visual arts in architectural scripts 2001).
– BA thesis: Analysis of inscriptional design in Yazd’ Congressional Mosque 1996
– Member of Scientific Committee for compilation of calligraphic design (Graduate course)
– Masters Degree in visual communication and Bachelors Degree in graphic from Tehran Al Zahra University.
-Visiting professor in Arts College.
– Scientific and practical in the fields of calligraphic design and calligraphy.
– Author of some articles in the field of Islamic calligraphy.
– Member of Jury in many festivals and the Ministry of Labor’s Graphics Olympiad.
– Received the Diploma of Honors in the first calligraphy festival 1996 and the first Iranian Conference on Islamic Calligraphic Design, jointly organized by the Academy of Arts and the University of Tarbiyat Modaress, 2001, and the Research Festival of the General Directorate of Culture and Islamic Guidance of Yazd in the field of calligraphy, 2001.
-Associate Professor grade 15- Member of Scientific Board of Graphics Group (visual communication) Faculty of Arts in Tarbiyat Modaress University since 1998 and Head of Graphic Department in since 2001.
– PhD degree in graphic (Islamic art) Birmingham University England 1997.
– Masters Degree in graphic from Tarbiyat Modaress University 1991.
– Bachelors degree in graphic from Tehran University 1988.
-Visiting professor in Art Colleges.
– Practical and scientific research in the field of calligraphic design and calligraphy.
-Translated many articles on Islamic calligraphy.
-Member of Jury in many festivals and the Festival of Ashora Inscriptions.
-Participation in many international exhibitions
-Distinguished Professor in Tarbiyat Modaress in 2001, Distinguished Researcher in Tarbiyat Modaress in 2005
– Editor in Chief of the specialized monthly “Moon Art Book”
– Scientific Secretary and Organizer of the first Islamic Arts Festival
– Author of 5 books and 50 articles
– Designer of Sacred Defense posters in the book on “A decade of Islamic Revolution’s Graphic Design, compiled by Abolfazl Ali, 1988.
-Logo Designer for Organization of Examinations, Hejab, Shiraz, Shahrekord, Zabol, Hoda Qom, etc.
– Participation in numerous of solo and group exhibitions inside the country and in England, Pakistan, Syria and France.
– Winner of the Golden Tablet with Imam’s Handwriting, Diploma of Honors and the Memorial Medal (Grade 1 Artist of the Sacred Defense) from the Art and Literature of the Sacred Defense Complex, 1988.
– Winner of Memorial Diploma from Kamaleddin Behzad International Festival in 2003.
Mohammad Mehdi Razi
– BA Graphic from Faculty of Arts, Tehran University
-Winner of the Diploma of Honors from the 8th Oman International Visual Arts Festival, 2004
– Member of Jury in many Iranian Graphic festivals and the Ministry of Labor’s Olympiads
– Accredited Professor, Faculty of Culture and Arts, Yazd
– Awarded Artistic Grade 2 and a study tour of Italy and France from Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance
– Winner of first Prize in the BISMELAH Specialized Festival of New Trends Calligraphy 2007, and Razavi Calligraphy Festival on Calligraphic Design of the Islamic World, 2005.
-Visiting professor in Art colleges
– A lecturer in Specialized Conference on Calligraphy in Tehran Museum of Contemporary Arts, 2006.
– Member of Iranian Association of Graphic Designers
– Designer of the Calligraphic Design Syllabus on the invitation of the Ministry of Science in the year 2007, and participation in launching the first Faculty of Koranic Arts in Iran.
Member of World Elite on Calligraphic Design and Islamic Calligraphy, Oman 2006
– Participation in solo and group exhibitions in Pakistan, Syria, Kazakhstan, Morocco, Oman, Hungary, Bangladesh and Germany.
Seyed Mir Jalaledin Khazazi
-Date of birth: December 1948
-Masters Degree in Persian literature from Tehran University, 1991.
– Cooperation with weeklies in Kermanshah
– Member of Scientific board of the Faculty of Persian L
iterature and Foreign Languages, affiliated to Alame Tabatabayi University
– Knowledge of French, Spanish, German and English.
– Author of numerous books and close to 200 articles
– Lecturer in many Culture and Scientific conferences and gatherings in Iran and other countries
– Lecturer on Iran Studies and Persian literature in Spain
– Pen name “Zervan” (poetry)
– Winner of the Best Book of the Year Award for the translation of Virgil’s Aeneid
– Compilation of “Name Bastan” (Ancient Letter), of which 6 volumes have been published, and won the first prize on fundamental research from Khwarizmi International Festival.