Declaration of the Expert Meeting of Sister Cities and Urban Public Diplomacy
To reach a single discourse in public diplomacy of promoting efficiency in cities and to make logical and effective strategies for substantiating the contents of the international agreement of the Iran’s Sister Cities, especially, sister cities of Tehran Metropolis, we, representatives from organizations and international, regional, national and local entities are committed to take action to improve urban governance, exchange of experience, cultural interactions and international communications. We are determined to take effective measures to assure the prosperity of the citizens in the light of peace and security.
In line with the said goals, we recognize the necessity of establishing the secretary of Public Diplomacy and Sister Cities in the Islamic City Council of Tehran, in cooperation with UNESCO, other related organizations, social institutions and local councils.
Governance and public entities have put emphasis on the role of NGOs in activating urban diplomacy and effective use of public diplomacy.
Fortunately, today different organizations and institutions are working in different fields of the said subject. These actions require the special attention of the chairman and members of the Islamic City Council of Tehran, and their cooperation in this regard is a turning point in the history of diplomacy in our country. We hope that Tehran, as the Capital City of the Islamic Republic of Tehran, will be a pioneer in the field of Public Diplomacy and Sister Cities among the metropolises of Asia, especially in Western Asia.
Iran’s sister cities development center and friendship associations have launched considerable activities and are doing their best to increase the interactions of the related entities and pave the way for development of urbanism. To do so and to establish the network of the sister cities of Iran, they draw on the legitimate experiences of the world and Asia.
Some of the main outcomes of the expert meeting are as follows:
1. Establishment of the Secretary of Public Diplomacy and Sister Cities to put the main concepts of the subject into practice
2. Determining the ambassadors of Public Diplomacy for monitoring the sister cities, and defining the operational plans with a view to addressing the needs of the sister cities and achieving the objectives of the related plans.
3. Designing the requirements for forming a network relationship between the sister cities of Tehran, and expanding communication to include both bilateral and multilateral mode.
4. Standardization and localization of the international agreements of sister cities, developing an atlas of Iran’s sister cities and highlighting the importance of sister cities in academic forums
5. Drawing on the concept of sister cities to promote citizenship skills, participation of citizens and to entrust nongovernmental tasks to citizens.
We believe that synergetic cooperation, collective wisdom and participation in creation of social structures facilitate the roadmap of this significant movement.
We hope that Iran will continue its glorious path in the future.
Secretary of Public Diplomacy and Sister Cities of Iran